Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Curry Bashing.



Staple diet of the English.... Curry. What better after a few pints than a couple of Popadom’s, some hot pickle, Onion Baji’s and a red hot Ruby Murray, washed down with Indian beer, probably brewed under licence in Birmingham? Following three lovely pints of Timmy Taylor's each last night, three of us ambled over to Queen’s Tandoori starving. It was busy. Usually is. Giggling like school boys we ordered a mixture of dishes, none of which I can remember, but all were good and we ate the lot, complimented by a bottle of Cobra each, just to be polite you understand. The bill was £55. Very reasonable for Popadoms and two courses to follow, whatever it was. The downside of consuming so much beer is that I clean forgot to photograph the meal itself, casually getting my camera out when it had all gone and we had licked up the gravy.

10 comments:

Affer said...

Nice wallet.

bikerted said...

On a curry weekend in Bradford after a pub crawl, a group of nineteen hungry bikers managed to negotiate a price for the meal. Why not try it yourself sometime?
The wallet looks a little slim to me. Had your meal just been paid for?

Ron Combo said...

You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?

Peter Ashley said...

Cobra was invented just to go with British curries. I think.

Toby Savage said...

The wallet is my pal Ian's. Both he and son, Will, have such fat wallets they can't keep them in their back pockets when they sit down, hence they adorn the table a tempting morsel for a quick thief. Mine, empty, is always in my right and back pocket. And Ron, yes.

Jon Dudley said...

Yummy. There's nothing quite like a nice rube. Since the mid eighties I've been patronising The Viceroy in Newhaven, in fact I could have bought it ten times over. Such was our family's conspicuously enormous consumption that we'd get a free bottle of port at the end of each meal. In a quiet moment the other week, the owner told me in hideous and gory detail, how much we'd spent there in our record year of 1990. Bloody hell! Ah well, you're a long time dead...

Toby Savage said...

Good show. I managed a Christmas card from the Taj Mahal, signed by my good friend Ali. It's the thought that counts.

Affer said...

You may recall that, as per your personal recommendation, I had Christmas lunch at the Taj Mahal last year. It was a real feast - and as this year I shall be gorging on Roast Sparrow with some lightly braised grass, I will miss it!

Peter Ashley said...

Is that the Taj Mahal in Highfield Street? Last time I was in there one of our party went out through an upstairs window and proceeded to throw roof slates down into the street.

Meanwhile... said...

Damn. Leicester curries. Greatly superior. Much missed.